Forum members: this is a public post
So, with Graf promoting Matrix, and our own members still using it , I figured now would be a good time to review why Matrix is gayer than Milo’s bar mitzvah orgy.
- Matthew, the head of Element and the Matrix Foundation, is a retarded faggot.
- Matrix requires you to trust everyone with access to the database on every server with at least one user in your room. Everything is stored indefinitely in every server’s database.
- Matthew is a faggot.
- Our old Matrix server was banned from every official Matrix room, despite none of its users having ever violated their rules.
- Matrix was created by AMDOCS, an Israeli firm that spied on Americans via the phone equipment and software they sell.
- The perpetual database storage means that Matrix is a metadata nightmare. There is a lot of stuff in the message metadata that isn’t necessary for message routing that could be used to build network graphs of everyone someone associates with.
After everything that happened with Matrix, we finally figured out that XMPP really is the best option out there for self-hosted, federated, secure communication. XMPP group chats are hosted by one server, requiring you to only trust one admin. NHTB purges our server archive to only retain three days of archived messages. E2EE is available for 1:1 and private group chats. VoIP is supported but is client-dependent.
Here is a guide to get started: XMPP Quick Start